Vicfirth

Distributor oil leak.

Hello mk3 enthusiasts,

I have a mk3 Supra, non turbo. The car runs really well for a 29 year old car with 186000 miles on the clock.

I have a problem with a distributor oil leak. I replaced the O ring & the larger O ring for the cap. The cap one was perished.

The oil leak was still there. I got a second hand Cressida distributor & swapped over the new small O ring. Still got the oil leak.

I am now thinking of a worn housing for the distributor in the cylinder head.

Any ideas?

Colin.

i would check that the leak really is coming from there. the cam covers leak in that area and do indeed look like it is from the distributor.

Hello Dino, Thank you for the reply.

I did check the cam cover gasket & it was ok. I fitted a new O ring to the distributor as the old one was brittle.

I cleaned the area & ran the car for a few days. To my surprise the oil leak was still there. There is a small hole about 6mm in diameter under the distributor & the oil is leaking from there. I felt further back & it's dry there. I removed the distributor cap & oil is coming along past the rotor arm underneath the electronic ignition thingy.

I came to the conclusion that I need another distributor & got on from Alabama in the US. I fitted it along with the new O ring & ran the car for a few days. Guess what?! The oil is leaking from the same hole as the old distributor.

I searched online for a repair kit. Toyota seem have discontinued the distributor. I found a repair kit online in Ontario, Canada. It was delivered to my address & I discovered that the distributor will have to be pressed apart. So I handed it to my friend who runs a garage. He contacts me a few days later to say that he can't do the job.

Seemingly the Supra distributor in Canada is different from the European Supra distributor.

With the Canadian distributor the gear that connects with the drive inside the cylinder head can be removed from the distributor by knocking out a roll pin & then the gear slides off the shaft & then the shaft is pressed out of the distributor housing.

The gear on the European distributor has to be ground off & then dismantled.

The only problem is that you have to find another gear, which is exactly what I need, drill a hole in the shaft, reassemble & slide the new gear onto shaft & tap the new roll pin, supplied with the kit, through the new gear & shaft & hey presto, one reconditioned distributor.

So, if anyone has a distributor gear, I'd be very, very grateful.

My wife said "Why don't you just sell the car?" 

She is still trying to remove a plastic bucket from her head.

Colin.

at a guess you have the repair kit for the cps from a 7mgte which goes in the same hole.

the na has a pressed on gear according to the epc.

i'm still not sure where you think the oil is coming from tbh. and chance of a pic?

oh on side note. that gear being replaced won't stop any oil from getting past it so you will still have the leak afterwards anyway. as long as you have good o-rings of course.

Hello, I'll see about a photo soon. The distributor repair kit has an oil seal a bearing, both the size of a 20p piece & 2 O rings & the roll pin that is used to secure the gear to the shaft.

Hello, Here is a photo.

This_20171214_161742.thumb.JPG.39b5f77628e727a151a754891d22b03e.JPG is inside the distributor & you can clearly see the oil path.

Thanks for your interest.