JSeaman

What have you done to your car today ...

JSeaman    723

I'm in the latter stages of putting it back together now, just waiting for a clutch slave cylinder and push rod seal

Tonight I've started picking apart half the loom I need to replace with two other knackered looms to make a good one and then hopefully get it moving on Sunday

I'll express how much love I have for working on bikes when I see you next!

88h88    41

Question.

Is it possible to get rear upper control arms from anywhere? I can get the fronts from RockAuto in the US but when I took the car in for a super posh digital alignment they whinged they couldn't do the rear because they were all seized up.

Dino    351

you don't need the arms just new bolts

• Like 1

Roger NE    38

Well I decided to respray my wheels (Toyota 5 Spokes) again . . . something I've done about every 2-3 years, when fitting new tyres. But this time I thought I'd get them done by my girlfriend's son - he has a proper spray gun and does lots of wheels as an earner. (much better than using Aerosols, as I've always done) Plus he's only charging for the paint, as I'm always helping him with stuff.

I bought some professional Paint Stripper, as one wheel the paint had bubbled due to a seized caliper a while ago . . . Only planned to strip one wheel . . . but the others all re-acted when I put a primer coat on !

So I had to strip all of them right back to bare metal . . . what a HORRIBLE job !  Took ages to do each one, scraping off layer after layer of paint.

Anyway, I've got the first two back on the car with new Toyo tyres, and they look great . . . just waiting to get the other two back so I can fit those.

By the way, if anyone is looking for a set of genuine Mk3 Toyota 5 spokes (not the Mk4 ones), a friend of mine up here is scrapping his car, and has a set.

Roger NE    38

By the way, if anyone is looking for a set of genuine Mk3 Toyota 5 spokes (not the Mk4 ones), a friend of mine up here is scrapping his car, and has a set. (like on my car, below)

supra6.jpg

• Like 1

88h88    41

Trying to track down 360 degrees of 89+ trim for the car as my earlier stuff is rotting off. Has anyone ever seen a mk3 without any trim whatsoever? I reckon it'd look fine (with appropriate welding of holes) but the sections around the bumpers would need some love, particularly the indicators on the wings.

Stevieboy    288
7 hours ago, 88h88 said:

Trying to track down 360 degrees of 89+ trim for the car as my earlier stuff is rotting off. Has anyone ever seen a mk3 without any trim whatsoever? I reckon it'd look fine (with appropriate welding of holes) but the sections around the bumpers would need some love, particularly the indicators on the wings.

My neighbour tried it a few years ago. It took him ages to weld up each panel then needed loads of filler and still never looked right. Large panels need either a trim strip or a swage line to break them up or it looks more like an ocean liner than a sports coupe.

88h88    41

Ah I mean keeping the body line not filling it out entirely as I think you're saying here, it breaks up the panels nicely. The idea was to either replace everything with 92+ trim or essentially just remove it, fill the holes and have a vinyl/painted strip instead.

I want the spoiler off the boot too at some point as it's the ugly pre-facelift one.

dazvr6    9

I think it could work with a satin black vinyl strip, but it's quite a deep recess......

88h88    41

Yeah I know, one of the trims fell off my wing the day I bought the car, it has a nice Martini vinyl stripe there because it amused me.

Vicfirth    4

There is a guy in Alabama, USA that I have got a number of items for my mark 3 Supra from.  He has five or six mark 3's.  It may be worth checking him out on ebay.  His ebay name is "hoofer72".  Bear in mind that U.S spec mark 3's will be different.

• Thanks 1

ConcreteRain    19

So, a few things have occurred since my last update.

My plan to build new inner arch shields out of rubber came to nothing as I couldn't find anything that would hold the rubber to the inner arch and I don't want to drill.

So I bought a new compressor and put 2 tins of Bilt Humber over the rear.

Fitted the 255 fuel pump to the tank

Refitted the tank to the car

Added 50% of the 12v constant fuel pump wiring to the car (yep, 50%, because that's how this car has spent a 18 months now in bits)

Refitted the new fuel hoses

So, I need to do the handbrake cables, propshaft and then start knocking the various rear arms into the correct holes.

And I bought a GT86. I've been researching S/C kits...

• Like 1

88h88    41

Had an on/off clunking noise over tiny little stutter bumps like those you'd find rolling into a traffic calming area. I assumed it was suspension related at first, new coilovers were fitted and everything checked out fine. Thought it was the brake caliper moving on the slider pin, seems not to be the case. Thought it was wheel weight related, nope. Slowly bit by bit rolling around under the car I looked for the problem and then thought I might give the subframe nuts a tug. One wasn't quite tight enough, it wasn't loose by any means but there was a tiny bit of tightening I could do.

That seems to have solved the noise, driving it around last night I made a point to aim for those little stutter bumps that caused the noise previously and nothing...

Mystery solved (I hope!)