7M.elody

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

I have been planning to make my car a little more useable on motorways and preferably quicker (that's always got to be the way) basically I'm not going to last for ever in the 55mph club lol :) Phil has a MX5 that he is breaking for spares, it's a 1.6 import with 115BHP and I've been having a look at the ratios to see if it's a pairing that will work well. Here are some numbers, sorry to bore...

Gearbox ratios MX5 (:1) - 1st 3.136 2nd 1.888 3rd 1.33 4th 1 5th 0.814

Gearbox ratios Amazon (:1) - 1st 3.13 2nd 1.99 3rd 1.359 4th 1

Diff ratio MX5 - 4.3:1

Diff ratio Amazon - 4.1:1

Looking at this keeping the original diff will actually give me a car that's a better cruiser than the MX5. Spot On :)

The other items I need to collect then;

if I decide to lose the injection...

A set of bike carbs

Megajolt, to run the ignition

A custom intake manifold

And/or if I keep the injection...

I've got a Jasma exhaust manifold already

A hybrid of the two propshafts

A hybrid of the two speedo cables

The clutch master cylinder off the MX5

The rad from the MX5

A custom exhaust

A fuel pump

So first thing will be to grab the MX5 parts that are still on the car and get everything cleaned up while I collect the rest of the bits... :)

IMG_20140119_162717544_zpsm0ynygke.jpg

• Like 1

I would think with the weight of the Amazon and the power band of a jap 1.6, you would never get higher than third gear. A 7M or 2JZ would make it shift though, but it probably needs a nice V8.

I would think with the weight of the Amazon and the power band of a jap 1.6, you would never get higher than third gear. A 7M or 2JZ would make it shift though, but it probably needs a nice V8.

The Amazon only weighs 150kg more than the MX5, but the new engine will be considerably lighter than the old Amazon B20 engine so when it's all done it should even it up a bit. Also, Mel's Amazon has fibreglass panels on it which again, evens the weight up considerably. 

Although Mel wants to go faster, It's not just about all out performance, she wants a reliable capable cruiser, able to keep up with modern traffic and have fun in! :)

It'll be a laugh, and a good project....and if it's not fast enough we'll stick a turbo or supercharger on it! :D

Yay FI (forced induction) as well as FI (fuel injection), did I mention I'm in?! :)

I would like to see nitrous added to the wish list.

• Like 1

Nitrous'd, turbo'd, mx5'd amazon ... nitramazo 5

Mel will havean update soon I'm sure, but she's asleep as we've JUST got home from work. We now have a new everyday car to use, so the Amazon can now come off the road and the conversion can start!

• Like 1

Yay I'm excited about it now :D

Nitrous is the best idea ever!

• Like 2

I got started on her tonight... well we took the rad out and disconnected most of the stuff in the engine bay, she's now snug in Phil's garage waiting for me to have a bit more time :).
Phil has a mini in at the moment that's having a paint job so time needs to be spread until that's done but I'll hopefully have some good progress over this bank holiday weekend!

First pic...
IMG_20140521_214119826_zpshvhvlwqz.jpg

• Like 1

Ooh exciting stuff, looking forward to seeing this take shape!

I have a bit of an update from last night.

The engine is now ready to come out apart from the gearbox mount, speedo cable and an engine crane lol.

The temperature gauge was quite interesting and I'm sure if I get an adaptor into the thermostat housing I can use the original. Check out this piece of 60's engineering. It's well cool! The coolant heats the cable and a metal ring on the back of the gauge which in turn moves the needle as it expands! Sorry I'm being lame!

IMG-20140523-WA0002_zps0nqi0u7u.jpg

The engine bay after stripping, it doesn't really look any different lol but Phil has an idea for the engine mounts, they shouldn't be too difficult. Yay for steering boxes! There's nothing in the way!

IMG-20140523-WA0000_zpsuh9qcoq0.jpg

Here is the doner.. I don't want to touch it without labels and a pen to hand lol

IMG-20140523-WA0001_zpsr3pkjljc.jpg

And finally I found this tucked in round the gear lever!! WTF? needless to say I binned it.

I've discovered I will be able to use some of the original gear lever to extend the MX5 one so that's handy :)

IMG_20140522_200711790_zps6v6rmhda.jpg

IMG_20140522_201153466_zpsiq2vs6jh.jpg

I have an engine crane in my watch list and the engine and rad are on eBay now so things are now properly in motion!

I may have got a little carried away with shiney parts today! I found these for sale, close by, nearly new and cheap on preloved. So I snapped them up this morning :)

IMG_20140525_122810138_zpsdusp7amf.jpg

They need bigger profile tyres and I need to drop the front too! But I know someone who deals in part worns who will probably do me a swap seeing as these are pretty much new.

IMG_20140525_175136690_HDR_zpsstrhhvf4.j

I love them!

Anyway, back to the engine swap. I've made a list :) gonna get properly stuck in tomorrow and have a full day at it.

IMG_20140525_175436614_zpshkkaz2v_edit_1

Cool, I'd send speedy cables the details and kick that off straight away as it can take a few weeks in my experience

There has been some good progress today :) the Amazon engine was first to exit seeing as it was the easier of the two. Here's some pictures!

IMG_20140531_195313072_HDR_zps8ntknms9.j

IMG_20140601_120253443_zpshz1wthe3.jpg

IMG_20140601_121432267_HDR_zpswvatmtvg.j

No issues taking it out :)

Then moving on to the MX5 I wanted to label everything I unplugged first so it took a bit more time. So pictures speak louder than words :D

IMG_20140601_133702470_HDR_zpstwnnttum.j

We split the box from the engine to check on the clutch and someone's been doing some full power starts cause although it's got plenty of meat on it, it looks like it's been getting very hot so I will be replacing it!

Then we popped it in for a test fit!

IMG_20140601_140257435_zpsypnp5mk9.jpg

IMG_20140601_140433872_zpsicm3w4fr.jpg

It seems to be clearing everything nicely (love steering boxes, they just don't get in the way)

IMG_20140601_140449669_zpszgatjepy.jpg

IMG_20140601_140458463_zpsgwxaxux0.jpg

IMG_20140601_140523190_zpsrkvtbbwv.jpg

It also looks to me that simply flipping the engine mount brackets to the other side of the cross member will see it mounted! But that's enough for today, it's sunny and we deserve a BBQ :)

P.S. all this only took 3 hours, yay.

• Like 1

A nice day's work that, can't wait to see this running

Looks good in there. Reckon it will be a good drive when its done. Showcase for Peak Classic Cars and the work they do.

Yup definitely! Have you seen their new website? Www.peakclassiccars.com

I'm looking forward to driving it :D

A small update from last night.

I spread the wiring loom out on the floor and cut out all the unnecessary plugs, I need a wiring diagram before I can continue as there are the odd few wires that I don't know what they are for but once there all off I'll unwrap it all pull out all the cut ones and re wrap it to make it a bit skinnier :)

We've had an idea for mounting all the fuse boxes ect too. The plan is to remove the heater matrix (not working anyway) and mount the fuse boxes where that used to sit on the bulkhead. This will leave the wings free of wiring. The old wiring for the lights ect will be run inside the arch to clean it up further and I'll safely wrap all the old engine wiring out the way so this all can be reversed if I ever get rid of the car.

Here is a picture of the loom and the pile of chopped off bits :)

IMG_20140616_213307858_zpssoylhion.jpg

My new clutch has arrived also :)

IMG_20140616_213601806_zpsoiubvlzp.jpg

Oh and I should mention I'm going to replace the heater matrix with a mini one seeing as that lives under the dash and I have loads of room there seeing as the gearleaver is moving!

• Like 1

We've had a busy evening stripping the engine bay tonight, the brake valve needs to move as it will foul the engine but its just going to move up a little and the fuel line needs to move to the other side of the engine bay.

Plenty of space has been gained by removing the heater box, that will be where the fuse boxes sit with some sort of lid over them.

The wiring will come out of the hole where the coil used to sit and a new hole that will mirror that one.

The throttle pedal is useless I can't see how it will be able to pull a cable so I think i will have to nab the one out the mx5, luckily it's not gone yet :)

Once all the cutting and welding is done I'll give it a good clean and some fresh paint!

The only other thing is that the transmission tunnel looks tiny! Although I don't think it will be anything a big hammer can't fix :)

Here are a couple of piccies :D

IMG_20140619_205134495_zpszsanlnqs.jpg

IMG_20140619_205931210_zpsdjwkvfzp.jpg

Plans for tomorrow evening are to start cutting away the front panel to make room for the rad, drill out the plates that hold the engine mounts ready to move them to the other side of the cross member, get the speedo cables posted off to have the new one made and I dunno what else we'll see how it goes. :)

It's good to have some progress!

Awesome stuff guys, don't like the look of the bulkhead covering that transmission tunnel though - hammer the crap out of that and you might screw up the torsion resistance of the car. F*ck it though, you've started now so get smacking :)

We measure it and it should just fit *just* If we do need to move it a bit we'll cut and re-weld, not just hammer it - that's just Mel getting all wound up and excited....you know what she's like with hammers and cars....

It's dirty, dusty and has some surface rust but is surprisingly solid. A bit of grinder work tomorrow night to remove some unwanted brackets etc and we can really get going with the engine and ancillary mock up.

• Like 2

Solid work guys. Well done.

• Like 1

I ended up painting the engine last night instead of anything else, it all needs doing :). Looking pretty shiney now. I just need to paint the block and head red and it'll be in the same color scheme as the original!

IMG_20140620_202227684_zpsqwfq1slr.jpg

IMG_20140620_211901654_zps84ltabec.jpg

Its hammered black, I thought it would give it an older look!

So tonight's job was to get the engine running. The theory being if there are any issues it will be much easier to sort out the car, once we know it runs on the slimline loom it will be nice and easy once it's all fitted.

We got as far as having it turning over but no spark yet. It's been narrowed down to no positive feed to the igniter! Not sure of the cause yet but we'll be sitting down with a diagram and James on Thursday to figure it out :)

Here she is!

http://youtu.be/bNyMGRB7BAs

Its been decided to used the mx5 tank as long as it's not so much of an odd shape it won't fit, just because I will save a lot on pumps and swirl pots and it will make life a bit easier.

• Like 1