7M.elody

1966 Volvo Amazon engine transplant!

So we've been moving house AGAIN! So I've not had any time to work on the beast :( hopefully now things are settling down I'll have some time for it again. I'm really keen to have it done over the winter now!

Anyway in the mean time I had the opportunity to replace the seats, the old ones were so awfully worn out you could feel the metal frame through whats left of the padding. Not great for long drives!

So I sold the old ones for £25 and got some refurbed MGB seats to replace them. They're really comfy and a bit smaller than the originals so they leave a bit more space for the bigger gearbox :) win win!

20150830_170140_zpshylipkif.jpg

• Like 2

I love the tool storage option for the rears. Very handy. Who needs rear seats anyhow??? This must be ready before the wedding....

I hope it will be :) there is still a rear seat installed you just can't see it for all the tools!

Finally got a shed last weekend,then built it up and filled it up through the week (actually it's a bit overkill, you could swing a cat in there, but what hey it was cheap and I like it) :) but work can now commence!

20151018_1811002_zpsian5itvq.jpg

Got the chance to weld in a couple of patches today, just the passengerside floor and then the last of the bulkhead on that side. The bulkhead one is only half done but we'd started to lose the light!

20151018_161453_zpslw3bi4t1.jpg

20151018_175223_zpsrv1axbd4.jpg

Fingers crossed for some rain free weekends before Chrismas creeps up on us :)

I've got a free day today that I had booked off work to wait for a collection. So I thought I'd make the most of it.

This morning I've finished off the passengerside closing panel as best I can. There is a little gap to the right that I couldn't fill, it requires Phil's level of welding skill so it'll have to wait till he's home.

I apologise for the ugly welding it's my first proper go at it! I seem to be getting neater though thankfully :)

20151202_125606_zpswp2rhquv.jpg

This afternoon I think I might paint the back bumper to match the front and fit a seal or two.

I couldn't paint the bumper cause it's almost touching the wall and douch bag here left the handbrake on which now won't come off :(

I did fit that door seal though so one side of the car is now water tight :)

20151202_154709_zpsjluxjorr.jpg

• Like 1

getting there now then. be fun when its done. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I can't wait :) it's just slowgoing finding time!

• Like 1

I got another car day in today :).

Phil's away in Coventry so just me again. I had a hand moving the car first off as it was right up against the wall and I needed to start on the driver's side. It was a bit of a mission but the handbrake let go as soon as it got a tow and it pushes fine again now.

I tacked in and welded up the closing panel for the driver's side, the pedals and steering wheel got in the way to say the least! I also messed up a bit as I didn't think to turn the welder up to weld to the box section so when I started hammering a few corners in to get better contact, 6 of my plug welds popped back out :(

A quick call to Phil and he told me my mistake and said I could just drill extra holes to then weld on the correct setting!

Once again, apologies for the ugly welds, turns out I'm not getting neater yet (although upside down in a foot well with no light does make it a little more difficult) :D

20151205_160444_zpsdvhbadow.jpg

The important bit is progress!!

• Like 1

Greetings from Salt Lake City Utah. I am about to embark on exactly this project but with my left hand drive amazon. Any pointers? Any way of pm'ing me?

Hi, that's great to hear. I would say allow more time and money for it then you might first assume. Good luck with it it has been a great project for me. I hope you don't find a load of rust :)

Hey Mel, I've pm'd you on Facebook (not trying to be a stalker but I had a few questions for ya)

- Has the project been completed?

- Did you ever try to test fit the engine with the trans etc all mounted together?

- As for mounting the engine, is there anything you would do differently?

Pm me on Facebook if ya can.

5 hours ago, Aidanbradney said:

Hey Mel, I've pm'd you on Facebook (not trying to be a stalker but I had a few questions for ya)

- Has the project been completed?

- Did you ever try to test fit the engine with the trans etc all mounted together?

- As for mounting the engine, is there anything you would do differently?

Pm me on Facebook if ya can.

Hi, I'd rather reply on here. That way if anyone else has the same questions they don't have to re ask (I've come across 3 others doing the same)

I didn't finish the project, I got bored of not having any time to do it and sold it to someone who said they wanted to finish it.

The engine, trans, prop to diff had all been bolted together and fit fine. I wanted to re design the gearbox mount, however the prop still used it's original mount and I was very happy with the engine mounts.

How far have you got with yours?

So far I have done a dry fit of the engine/clutch/trans all bolted together to see if it would slip into place in one go, turns out the oil pan just catches on the cross member. I really want my engine forward just a touch from yours so I intend to notch and reinforce the cross member a bit to allow for that. Also I intend to use the existing motor mounts on the x-member in their current location rather than putting the on the rear-side. I want to have the option of returning to original motor if required/desired. 

Cool I like your idea of being able to go back to an original engine. However be careful how far forward you go. I didn't have much room for my rad at all!

Yeah I really wanted to keep the fire wall original, I figured x-members can be replaced far easier than firewalls, so I will be notching out the x-member and reinforcing it.  As for the radiator I will probably use and aluminum ebay special that I will make fit.  I'm lucky with the trans tunnel as my car originally came with an auto trans that I removed two years ago so that gives it a lot more room in there.  I did some cutting of the x-member last night and i'm able to slide the engine/clutch/trans unit in pretty easily now as a 1 man job.  Only problem last night is the angle of the output of the trans was too steep so I need to drop the front of the motor even more.

Hi Guys, 

Did you continue with the project and are you driving now? I have a Miata 1.8 laying around with a six speed gearbox and am thinking about putting that into my Amazon. Also do you have the images somewhere as Photobucket doesn't support sharing images anymore nor can I find them in the links to the photobucket website. 

Thanks for your response!

Kind regards,

Oscar 

Hi Aidanbradney, thanks for the link I have requested to become a member. Looking forward to seeing your pictures/videos!?! :).

All the best,

Oscar